I subscribe to Dish Network for TV. My most recent statement, which arrived today, advertised a new plan called “DishDVR Advantage”. The price is essentially the same as what I pay now (about $1/month cheaper), and you have to switch to paperless statements. Doesn’t sound like a good deal to me. However, one benefit caught my eye when I went online to check it out.
This is a good deal: I already pay $20 just for DishHD, so based on this offer it looked like I could get both DishHD and HBO for the same price. So I signed up.
As soon as I finished signing up, it took me to the premium package signup page, where I saw
What gives? I called up Customer Service, and the guy “couldn’t find” the initial page I was on which displayed the promo ad above. Luckily, I had kept a browser tab open to that first page. After 10 minutes of arguing on the phone, I reloaded that page, and it was the same … except that the promo ad had changed! It now looked like this:
I have no idea how that happened, whether the CSR did something to change my plan behind the scenes, or whether there was a site-wide fix at that minute or what. With my evidence on the web gone, I didn’t have a leg to stand on so I had to hang up. Luckily I was able to save all the images involved to my computer, just to show how crazy and sleazy the whole thing was. Even the names of the image files on the DISH servers were “AT100wDishHD.gif” and “AT100noDishHD.gif”, respectively. I kid you not. Explain this to me.